(LAREDO) — Eleven outstanding students from Laredo high schools, Laredo Community College and Texas A&M International University today (Wednesday) received $1,000 scholarships from the Mr. South Texas Foundation (MSTF).
“The mission of the Mr. South Texas Foundation is to help students on the pathway From Scholarship to Leadership,” said Senator Judith Zaffirini, MSTF president. “These 11 outstanding students pledge to return to South Texas after meeting their impressive higher education goals, and I am delighted to recognize them as future leaders for our region.”
When the Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association named her Mr. South Texas in 1999, Senator Zaffirini made a commitment to help future generations of leaders in the region. Accordingly, she established the MSTF and raised the money for the annual scholarships.
Celebrating its 16th anniversary in 2015, the foundation has provided $150,000 in scholarships to 150 Laredo students. Each scholarship recipient is selected as his or her class’s most likely future Mr. South Texas honoree.
“By helping promising students achieve their higher education goals, we are making a wise investment in the future of our state and region,” Senator Zaffirini said. “Higher education not only will open doors of opportunity for these future leaders, but also will give them the tools they need to help countless others.”
The scholarship presentation ceremony was hosted by Dr. Ray Keck, president, and Dr. Minita Ramirez, dean of student success, at A&M International.
The 2015 Mr. South Texas Foundation scholarship recipients are:
- Isidro R. Alaniz, United High School
- Enrique José Almazán, J.W. Nixon High School
- Eduardo Arredondo, Martin High School
- Abraham Alexis Benavides, Lyndon B. Johnson High School
- Diego Armando Cruz, Cigarroa High School
- Kevin Bradley Garza, Early College High School
- Moises C. Martinez, St. Augustine High School
- Valerya J. Perusquia, Laredo Community College
- Reinaldo Javier Romo, Alexander High School
- Juan Manuel Vazquez, Texas A&M International University
- José Manuel Villanueva, United South High School
“These students lead by example,” Senator Zaffirini said. “They not only excel in academics and extracurricular activities, but also are dedicated to their families and to community service.”
For additional information regarding the scholarship, please contact the Mr. South Texas Foundation at 956/722-2293.